You have eaten and due to one of them food you have food poisoning. The trouble is, it could be anything from ten days ago to as little as an hour earlier, which makes it difficult to pinpoint the source. But most of the time you can guess what you have done wrong or possibly you shouldn't have done. It may have been a peice of slightly pink chicken from the barbecue or a luke warm burger from a burger van. You feel sick and shivery, your muscles are aching and all you want to do is curl up in bed and sleep untill the nightmare goes away.Micro organism entered into your body in one of the two ways- either the food containing them hasn't been cooked throughly or person preparing your food is carrying the bug and has not washed his or her hands properly before handling the food.
- One of the potential danger of diarrhoea and vomiting is dehydration. Particularly at risk are young children and people who are frail, elderly or have a weakened immune system. Drink lots of water or water based fluids. If you are vomiting then take plenty of sips rather than gulping down glassful.
- Replace salt and sugars lost through diarrhoea , especially if you can't keep down any food. Try sipping this balanced drink : squeez the juice of 2 oranges, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 2 teaspoon of honey. Topup with water until you have 500 ml. try to drink every half an hour in little sips if necessary until your symptoms improve.
- You can also buy oral re-hydration solutions from pharmacy.
- Experiment to see if you can keep warm drinks better than the cold drinks.
- Drink herbal teas such as camomile, thyme, ginger,peppermint and fennel.These soothing herbs are mildly antiseptic and will help to relieve stomach cramps.
- have a warm bath laced with essential oils. Sprinkle 3 drops each of geranium and ginger oils and 2 of peppermint oil into the bath water. Soak for about 20 minutes keeping the bath topped up with warm water.
- Massage your tummy with soothing oils or ask a loved ones to do it for you.
- Ginger counters nausea and vomiting. If you can manage it try chewing a piece of fresh root ginger or crystallized ginger or ginger tea.
- Find the pressure points. There is an acupressure point on your outer calf that can help to relieve diarrhoea. Find it 8 finger width below the lower edge of the kneecap, one finger width outwards from the from of the shinbone.Press the point with your thumbs for 2 minutes on wach leg.
- For nausea and vomiting the point is located on your arm.Press the point between the tendons two thum widths above the crease of your inner wrist. This is the area that accupressure bands, sold for motion sickness, are designed to stimulate.
Thats all for now.
Hope this helps
Tips: Eggs with hairline crack may be harbouring salmonella bacteria. So don't use them.