Many of us travel by bus or plane which takes a very long period of time specially when the distance is very high. At that specific time period we sit in a very congested place as we don't have any other choices. Our feet stays idle for the whole period of the journey. This may lead to a very disturbing problem known as Deep Vein Thrombosis in short DTV. Statistically in every six thousands traveler who tends to travel over four hours, One gets affected with this Deep Vein Thrombosis (DTV). Plane journeys are found to be more risky for DTV as people tend to stay idle for a longer period. Specially their feet which are stuck in a short space and stays idle.
Who gets affected with Deep Vein Thrombosis & why?
- In general whoever travelling over continuous four hours with idle feet may get affected. The risk is higher with people who has history of previous blood clot or who went under surgery in recent time.
- People who have been idled for a long time due to illness or any other causes such as fracture or stroke sufferer.
- Anyone who suffers from nerve pain or any kind of nerve related diseases are in high risk. Also people with the age over 60 or pregnant or over weight or smoker also may suffer.
Precaution for Deep Vein Thrombosis :
- While traveling specially in a plane for long time, do some feet exercise which will allow your blood to circulate well in the veins. While sitting down, try to move your feet position every 30 minutes. Such as keep it straight for 30 minutes and keep it bended for next 30 minutes. Try to put pressure on your foot rest or on the floor with your feet and toes. Move your toes every now and then to keep your feet active.
- Hold your feet up (Off the Ground) for few seconds. Do it in a cycle like every 30 minutes. It will keep it active and will stop clotting.
- Try to walk in every one hour. If you are in a plane walk to the rest room even if you don't need it (every hour). If you are in a bus then make sure you use your feet while it stops for breaks.
- Drink plenty of water. Try to to avoid alcohol, caffeinated drinks and smoking.
- Don't use any sleeping pill while travelling. It will reduce your activeness.
- Don't wear any tight clothes while travelling. Keep it simple and comfortable. Even if your socks feels tight, do take them off.