You may wake up one morning with terrible pain around your elbow after a tennis match or awkward sleep position or even a sports day. It could be anything to hamper your normal arm to a nagging painful arm. It is just outside of your elbow and you will feel it every time you try to pick up a pen or even trying to open the door by twisting the door handle. If those are not enough then you will also feel it when bending your arm or carrying shopping bags from super market.
In medical term it is known as Lateral Epicondylitis. The structure around your elbow joint is muscles surrounded that move your elbow, fingers and wrist. The purpose of tendons around elbow are join the bones and muscles together. It allows the muscles of our forearm to move the way we want to move in short gives us control.
- Weaken wrist specially when you have to lift something. You will feel it most when you have to lift something in an awkward position.
- Pain while lifting or grasping
- Pain while stretching arms
- Pain while doing normal activity of life
- Main pain area is just outer side of the elbow.
Home remedy for Tennis Elbow:
According to Doctors it may last from 6 months to 2 years. There is no specific treatment for it apart from let it self heal. If the pain is unbearable then they will suggest taking painkillers, such as paracetamol to reduce the pain for short time. In extreme cases you may require surgery.
But you can do things at home to heal it quicker. such as
- Do not stress your affected arm the way normally you do. Take precautions and rest your arms a lot. For example don't pick heavy things, if your work relates with computer then make sure you resting it properly while working.
- Massage your affected area with certain oil like avocado oil, calendula oil will help reduce the pain even it is inflamed.
- Also check you are having enough vitamin rich foods to strengthen the bones and muscles
- Certain exercise can help the healing process quicken up. Consult with a physician for best course of exercise.
There are some quick remedies if you also have inflammation around your elbow.
- Hot and cold compresses help to get rid of the pain and swelling quicker
- Use some Arnica Oil and massage it on affected area
- Even if you don't have anything simply apply gentle massage on affected area and it will help you relief pain
- You can use your warm beanie bag for pain relief
- Use counter force bands for pain relief and healing known as tennis elbow brace
- Ginger tea 2-3 times a day helps to reduce inflammation.
There are many remedies you can try at home. No specific one is a best practice but it is more like what suits you best. Consult with your Doctor for best diagnostics. For self therapy or massage techniques you may find youtube handy as many doctors or physicians have submitted techniques online as a video guide.
Interesting fact is it may known as tennis elbow but it is not cause by playing tennis only. The reason could be anything you can imagine.